Minnesota Public Health Association
Since 1907, MPHA has been dedicated to creating a healthier Minnesota through effective public health practice and engaged citizens.
The Policy & Advocacy (P&A) Committee is open to all MPHA members interested in becoming more informed and involved in public health policy issues. Each year, the committee coordinates a number of activities, including:
The committee is not an independent decision-making body. Instead, the group is responsible for gathering information about key policy issues and providing recommendations to the Governing Council on these issues on a monthly basis. The work of the committee is guided by the interests and priorities of the full membership, and aligns with the policy resolutions voted on by the full membership each year.
MPHA members and external organizations can request time on the meeting agenda from a committee chair to share information on a specific policy issue. Highest priority is given to issues that align with the current MPHA policy agenda.
- Support efforts to reduce health inequities – including, but not limited to, impacts of racism, maternal health disparities, housing instability
- Support policies and programs that ensure access to affordable health care
- Support public health funding– including maintaining Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) funding and increasing local public health grant funds
- Support policies that promote optimal mental health, including interconnected issues such as substance use and suicide
- Support gun violence prevention efforts
- Support environmental health & justice efforts to ensure healthy families, clean water, clean air, and a healthy climate
- Support efforts to reduce impact of COVID-19 in Minnesota